What the Wenches are Reading



It has been a slow week for the Wenches. But most of us still managed to get a little reading in. Some of us linger in our favorite realms from last week, some are continuing with the magical world of The Hollows or the heartbreaking kingdoms of Westeros, some are revisiting beloved places, like the Chicagoland Vampires universe and the whimsical world of Gaiman, and some are trying something new! And as always, a few of the Wenches are getting around to checking out each other’s recommendations! We’ll let you know if the new ones are worth visiting soon enough! 


Click through to find out what we've been up to! 




Amanda: I am still on A Game of Thrones. Let’s hope I finish it before Christmas! Just kidding! I do still love it so much. Why just today, I was gaping at something I read.

Anne: I continue to feed my Ty & Zane addiction. I got through Sticks & Stones this week and now I’m on Fish & Chips.

Angela: This week I’m reading An Artificial Night (October Daye #3) by Seanan McGuire. I’m enjoying it so far. Also on A Perfect Blood (The Hollows #10) by Kim Harrison. The Hollows just continues to get better and better.

Barbara: I started Gabriel’s Rapture, the second book in the Gabriel’s Inferno trilogy, and got a few chapters in when I realized that I didn’t really care what happened to these characters. So I put it down and picked up Ours to Love (Wicked Lovers #7) and actually did care what happened to the characters! This book kept me riveted to the end. And no one writes love scenes like Shayla Black. You might need heat-proof gloves when you read this one! Now I am rereading Biting Cold, and looking forward to a reread of House Rules after that, in anticipation of the next Chicagoland Vampires book, Biting Bad. I LOVE that we only wait about six months between CLVs!

Donna:  I’ve done lots of reading lately. First, I read Tempest Reborn, the final installment in the Jane True series, by Nicole Peeler. I admit I have a soft spot for Jane, but I wish I had reread the series before starting it. I frequently found myself scratching my head trying to recall certain events and characters. Then I moved on to Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassins series. I blew through Spider’s Bite and have moved on to Web of Lies. I have a weakness for authors who sneak delicious recipes into their stories. Oh, and the heroine, Gin, really kicks ass!

Kathi: I finished and thoroughly enjoyed Khaled Hosseini’s new novel And the Mountains Echoed. He is a wonderful contemporary author who just keeps getting better and better. Decided to brave The Unwinding by George Packer. I was curious about a technique used by the author, who is an investigative journalist rather than a novel writer, of “novelizing” the real lives of ordinary Americans over the last few decades in order to illustrate what he calls the unwinding of the values and institutions that the American population formerly shared. It’s an interesting way to approach his subject matter, and so far this potentially dry read is keeping my interest. 

Merit: After a break of a few weeks I finally finished For A Few Demons More, book 5 in The Hollows series by Kim Harrison, and started book 6, The Outlaw Demon Wails. It took me some time to warm up to Rachel Morgan, but now I find I can’t stop reading, even though she is annoying at times. Also read the novella Dirty Magic (The Hollows 4.5), a very short, bittersweet love story about Mia, a banshee (who met Ivy once), and her sad love.

Natalie:  Rinse and Repeat.... I’m in the middle of Dragonfly in Amber. I cannot say I’m enjoying it as much as other Wenches have...but I’m definitely into it. And it appears that the wheel for finding a job is making a few squeaks so I might be busy soon. Fingers are crossed!

Veronica: I read a couple of long fanfics this week. I’m still lost in the second story, so it might be a couple of days before I pick up a new book.

Zee: I just started Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere...again...and there is a good chance I will be lost in Gaiman-universe for a very long while. Although I’m itching to start Ours To Love because of all the things Barb has been saying about it!

*pic from tumblr

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)