What the Wenches Are Reading

Collage by the talented Olga Daniels
This week you will see Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series in five Wenches' blurbs. We are getting excited, and preparing, for the release of the last Cat & Bones book in just three weeks. It's been well over two years since the last installment, and we are eagerly, yet bittersweetly awaiting the release of this book. It's been quite a journey with these characters.

Also on our e-readers and beside tables this week are epic tales of fantasy, some non-fiction, romance, and a new novella out today from Wench favorite Chloe Neill.

Click through to see what we're reading and share your choices in the comments below!



Amanda: I am continuing with my read of A Storm of Swords (ASOIAF #3) by George R.R. Martin. Considering this book has over 1,100 pages, I imagine this will be a recurring theme. So far, ASoS lives up to its reputation of being many people's favorite of the series. I am on the edge of my seat in every chapter, not only because this book is fantastic, but also because I am anxiously anticipating finding out what the Red Wedding is all about!

Anne: Well, hopefully as you read this, I'll be at the hospital having a baby, since my due date was yesterday! But, if not, I'll be reading Howling for You, since I am almost as big of a sucker for Jeff as I am for Jonah. And, I'm skimming some Night Huntress as well, in preparation for the big release at the end of the month. I might re-read the last book and the novella. We'll see what kind of time I have for reading.

Barb: Apparently not having holiday presents to make, or other tasks to complete leaves me much more time for reading. I finished Destined for an Early Grave and One for the Money, then moved right on to This Side of the Grave in my Night Huntress reread. It's been so long since I read these books from beginning to end, and I am thoroughly enjoying them all over again. They really are one of the best vampire series I've ever read, with two main characters who I simply adore. I am so very sad that they are coming to an end in just a few short weeks.

Beta I haven't been reading anything lately but I plan to continue reading Ósjálfrátt by Auður Jónsdóttir, which I started weeks ago.

Care: I'm pretty sure we remember me saying "feast or famine," right?  Well, since Sunday was a hockey game, then Monday was packing, Tuesday was driving, and Wednesday was remembering where everything in my house is... I got not a lot of reading done, sadly.  I did, however, finish up Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food that Loves Me Back and You Can, Too  which is always a good thing.  I am, perpetually, on the hunt for new and interesting things to feed my little family, and with my needing to eat gluten free... this is a lifesaver. I find that Shauna has a very personable style, and I enjoy her writing immensely.  I also love her joy for cooking, and her zest for a new, happier, healthy life.  The only problem is that as a mom, I'm torn between wanting to spend oodles of time in the kitchen creating masterpieces, and cleaning the rest of the house, playing games, and, well, reading!

Donna: This week I read two short stories and one novella. Some Desperado by Joe Abercrombie and My Heart is Either Broken by Megan Abbott. Both appear in the Dangerous Women anthology. They are very different genres, and I hadn't read anything by either author before. Also, I finally got around to reading Home For the Holidays by Jeanine Frost. Short stories seem to be suiting me just fine lately.

Kathi: This week I picked The Custom of the Army back up and finished it. (It’s one of the Lord John Grey books that supplement the Outlander series, which I set down to read the new Diana Gabaldon story in Dangerous Women.) Then I began rereading the Night Huntress series in preparation for the upcoming new release. I started with the novella Reckoning, set in New Orleans shortly before Bones meets Cat. It features the infamous Delphine LaLaurie and the voodoo queen Marie Laveau. I’ve been watching these same characters played by Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett on American Horror Story: Coven. Bates’s portrayal doesn’t match the way the character is written in the novella, but Bassett makes a stunning and formidable Laveau, whom I now picture in my head as I read. Night Huntress fans who can’t bring themselves to watch Coven might want to find some videos of her character just so they can check out her amazing performance. (I’ll try looking for some.) I’m now winding up Halfway to the Grave.  

Merit: Last week it was The Opportunist (first book in the Love Me with Lies trilogy) by Tarryn Fisher. AS soon as I finished that one, I went for the second installment, Dirty Red, read it as fast as I could and grabbed the third book – Thief- out of breath. I was not able to stop myself! HAD to get to the end. This is as dysfunctional a love story as can be. Kudos to Ms. Fisher for her brilliant writing!  I can’t read anything else now, have to wait for 24 hours at least. You will be able to read it all in my book review later on.

Zee: Finally! Finally I have time to myself and to read. I picked up Halfway to the Grave today (I read a few chapters, but never got the time to really get into it) and finished it pretty quick. I had to pick up One Foot In The Grave IMMEDIATELY after that! I have to say, I kinda regret never reading these again after the first and only time I did. It was RIGHT after the Fever series, and honestly, I must have been in a weird frame of mind. because I loathed Cat, was pretty meh about the first book, and never felt the urge to pick them up again. This time around, I found myself sympathizing with Cat, laughing at her internal monologue, and admiring how kick-ass she was. Although I still don't love her, and cannot stand her VERY petty jealousy. But I am loving her and Bones' story. Bones is just... UNF! One Foot is just perfect... I LOVED it. I'm going to pick up At Grave's End tonight hopefully! I'm totally immersed in the Night Huntress world! 

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)