What The Wenches Are Reading

Source.


“Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.”
Happy Birthday, Maya Angelou!







Amanda:  I have not done much reading this week. I am still reading Feverborn by KMM! 
  
Angela: This week I’ve been reading The Iron Lance (The Celtic Crusades #1) by Stephen R. Lawhead. It’s so long since I’ve read anything by Lawhead. As in twenty years.  I’m really enjoying it and need to be reading more historical fiction.

Anne: I couldn't take the anticipation of the emotional torment of Hard Bitten, so I'll taking a break from it to read some fluffy fan fiction. But, I'll have to bite the bullet and go back to it eventually. I'm also a little more than halfway through A Breath of Snow and Ashes. I'm loving it. Absolutely, 100%, loving it.

Barb: Last week I was reading Twice Bitten, and I still am! The awesome part just happened, and I'm dragging my feet getting to the bonehead part, even thought it gets sooooo good after that. I also was debating reading another mob book that looked interesting, or an ARC I was sent. My verdict was eventually neither! A hero Wench-friend fell on the sword and tried that mob book, but it was so bad she DNFed that sucker at chapter ten! So I decided that J.M. Darhower did such a wonderful job with Monster in His Eyes, that I picked up her previous series, Sempre. It's more YA than Monster, but I thoroughly enjoyed the story and characters and am currently on the second book, Sempre Redemption. Bravo, Ms. Darhower. You have a new fan. 

Care: This week, I’m back home again! This means access to my own books! My son and I both got Kindle Fires this past week-ish, so I’ve had very few of my books while I migrate over from my Nook. In the meantime, I’m making my way through The Dyslexic Advantage by the Drs Eide, and Mad Natter and I are both listening to The Sea of Monsters on the Fire at bedtime - but on the way home, we listened to an old favorite: How To Train Your Dragon (#1). Oh, having David Tennant doing the narration was a stroke of genius. Wonderful thing.

Donna: My daughter read Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray for school this year and  and loved it! I’m really digging the classics this year, so this is my selection for the week. I’m feeling really good about it!

Kathi: I'm completely captivated by my reread of Dragonfly in Amber, and so darn excited about seeing it all come to life onscreen that I don't know how I can possibly wait until the weekend for the season premiere!! So to distract myself, I'll just keep reading...

Merit: I needed some light reading this week, a good story that will make me laugh and forget reality. I found it in Shopping for a CEO by Julia Kent. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I couldn’t stop laughing, I highlighted so many sentences. I must share with you at least one: “Over the course of the next hour, the following people arrived: Marie, Jason, Carol, Terry, Amy, Jamie from Outlander. Add me, my mom, Andrew, Declan and Shannon and we are twelve total…” this book has it all; it is romantic, sexy, sweet and funny. Then I found out this is a standalone novel (#7)  which is part of the Shopping for a Billionaire series. Wench Natalie reviewed this gem of a series last year.  

Zee:  I’ve finally hit a wall with my fun regency romance phase. Tessa Dare was super fun and light, but now I’m in the mood for something completely different. I started some random contemporary stuff that isn’t worth mentioning. Then picked up Sabine Durrant’s Remember Me This Way, a book I would definitely recommend for fans of Gone Girl and the like. I couldn’t put it down, it’s not about the suspense, just the experience of being in fucked up people’s minds. I then picked up what I thought was a fun erotica... Tiffany Reisz’s The Siren... I could not have been more wrong. It is... a whole different animal. The only thing I could think of while reading it was Vladimir Nabokov’s Lolita... which also made me intensely uncomfortable but also made me want to read it to the bitter end. Although this was so much more than just one person’s story... and perhaps not as hard to stomach in some ways (and harder to stomach in others.) I’m still wondering where I stand when it comes to this book.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)