What the Wenches Are Reading





Click through to see what we're reading this week. What are you reading, Saucy Reader? 





Angela: Contemporary mystery series for a change of pace this week. I read Boundary Waters (Cork O’Connor #2) by William Kent Krueger. Fast paced and action packed. Krueger draws the reader in with his atmospheric writing, and the setting plays such a large part in the story. Well worth checking out if you love a good mystery series.

Anne: I am on a fanfiction kick as I figure out what to read next. I honestly have no idea what it will be. I’m also at a loss as to what my next audio book will be. I’m debating between In The Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson and doing a full listen of the Mercy Thompson books. I finished The Handmaid’s Tale yesterday. That was good, but terrifying, given the direction our current administration is trying to take us. I definitely recommend it.

Barb: I read Blade Bound this week. It was wonderful. It wasn't sad, at all, which makes perfect sense for this series. It will come as a surprise to exactly no one that I loved it and thought it was absolutely perfect. Look for a review closer to release day, and a super spoilery discussion about all the gory details, some time after that. 

Donna: I splurged and used used some Audible credits to pick up two great reads: Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarity and Norse Mythology, narrated by Neil Gaiman himself! The new HBO television show, Big Little Lies, premiered this week and I found myself wanting more info. The show is jam-packed with an impressive cast of actors including Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley, and Alexander Skarsgard. I am a firm believer that the book is always better and was intrigued enough to promise myself I’d finish the book before Sunday. Afterwards I plan to start on Neil Gaiman’s Norse Mythology, which has shot to the top of the best sellers lists.

Kathi: I got halfway through the Wayward Pines trilogy. I’ve forgotten enough of the TV series to not be annoyed by all the differences, and I’m enjoying the extra details. This is a very easy-to-read post-apocalyptic/dystopian tale with some surprising twists and turns.

Merit: This week I took a break from the fictional world and read a very different story — a real life story called To Grow with Her, which was written by the son-in-law of one of my best friends. This was a self-funded project, which many friends, me included, helped to create by donating for the cause. Ram, the author, has a daughter who was born with cerebral palsy. He tells us the story of his and his family’s life with Dror, the girl he has loved deeply, from the bottom of his heart, from the moment she was born and he decided not to give up, but instead to fight with her in an effort to minimize her disabilities. In his words “Sometimes life with Dror is like a boxer ring. Every round we encounter a new opponent, one we don’t anticipate, and we can’t even know how many blows we’ll get this time. We won’t let the opponent take from Dror her champion’s title.” This is a moving story, giving a glimpse into family life with a disabled child (they have 2 more healthy children), written with a pinch of hope and humor.

Zee: I reread Chloe Neill's Hard Bitten for no reason at all. And it still hurts. After all this time. I need more Merit and Ethan after that, so I might finally start Blade Bound now. Which I had been putting off because it's the last one. *crying*

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)