What the Wenches Are Reading




Click through to see what we're reading this week. What are you reading, Saucy Reader?! 




Angela: This week I read The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen #6) by Steven Erikson. There were so many convergences in this book, that it was breathtaking. There were a few characters who we unexpectedly said goodbye to, as well. Easily a five-star read, and I'm looking forward to reading Reaper's Gale, the next installment in the series, in January. 

Anne: I’m continuing my re-read of the Night Huntress series. I’m up to At Grave’s End, which introduces the fantastic Vlad. In the audio world, I finished up Phantom of the Opera and started A Wrinkle in Time, in the hopes that I’ll be able to find the time to see the movie. 

Barb: I finished 2017 with two incredibly disappointing rock star romances, so I decided to begin 2018 by rereading The Paper Swan, reminding myself what a truly stellar contemporary romance looks like. And it is glorious. I love this book to the depths of my soul. Next I'll be picking up our January Book of the Month, The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn. I hope it knocks my socks off. I really need that right now. 

Donna: I was very sad to hear that Sue Grafton passed away a few days ago. I have been a fan of hers for many years and have eagerly looked forward to each installment in her Alphabet Murder series. She recently published Y Is For Yesterday, and sadly that will be the finale. If you like slightly cranky private detectives with a love of Chardonnay, you’ll love Kinsey Millhone.

Kathi: I’m halfway through A Court of Mist and Fury (and the A Court of Thorns and Roses trilogy), and I’m completely, joyously blown away!! Thank you, Wench Merit! What a fabulous series! I haven’t felt like this since I read some of the old series we fell in love with together, like Fever. Really. If you’re in the mood for a great fantasy series with a thoroughly badass heroine, I highly recommend this one. And if book one seems a bit off about something, keep reading. It’s by design. Book two is sooooooo good!! And I hear nothing but praise for book three. (There were many Facebook threads in various Outlander and Fever groups this week about reading this series.) 

Merit: I’m at the end of Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve. I had to familiarize myself with the theory of Municipal Darwinism, which is the essence of that dystopian story. Darwinism: a theory that inherent dynamic forces allow only the fittest persons or organizations to prosper in a competitive environment or situation, survival of the fittest. Municipal Darwinism: large mobile metropolitan areas, known as Traction Cities, consume one another by gathering other, smaller cities in large hydraulic "jaws". The strongest survives and prospers. The beginning was interesting but slow; luckily the story picked up after the first few chapters with complex characters, adventures, and surprises. It is considered YA, but I feel this story will appeal to all ages from 11 and up, to fans of steampunk, dystopian stories, Science Fiction, and pirates stories. 

Zee: I haven't been reading much. Finished Kit Rocha's Beyond Control and looking forward to Bren and Six's book.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)