What the Wenches Are Reading




Click through to see what we're reading this week. Spoiler: almost everyone is reading Karen Moning! 





Angela: I’ve been slowing reading The Return of the Crimson Guard (Novels of the Malazan Empire #2) by Ian Esselmont, and already I can tell it’s a more polished outing than Night of Knives, the first book in the series.

Anne: I started and finished High Voltage. I fucking loved it!!! What a fantastic end to Dani's story. I also go back to work this week, so I'll be back listening to audio books. Not sure what I'm going to start yet. 

Barb: I stretched out High Voltage as long as I could, which was a whopping two days. Friends, it was spectacular. Look for a non-spoliery review from Zee next week and then our trademarked In-Depth Spoilery Discussion near the end of the month. Then I read an ARC of Sierra Simone's sequel to Priest, Sinner. I'm going to tell you all about it on Thursday, release day, but I will say that Sierra Simone has quickly become one of my favorite contemporary romance authors. Even when something about the pairing makes me squicky (in this case the age difference) everything else has so much depth and heart that I find I can't put it down. 

Donna: I’m loving High Voltage! I still have a ways to go, so I’m avoiding any spoilers.

Kathi: I’ve been rereading Feversong as fast as I can—but not fast enough—so I’m trying to be vigilant about avoiding spoilers from you lucky folks who are reading High Voltage. And I want to mention that the movie Annihilation is now streaming on Netflix outside the U.S. It’s a visually stunning, brilliantly creative movie based on a brilliantly creative and intensely strange book (in the Southern Reach series, by “the first truly great writer of the Anthropocene” according to a review in The Brag, but that link is full of spoilers). It was deemed too obtuse for general moviegoers and the international rights were sold to Netflix. So if you’re in the mood for a sometimes frightening but always gorgeous movie (which really should be seen on the largest screen possible) that will boggle your mind and lead you down unexpected existential paths, check out Annihilation! You might find that, like me, you’ll want to watch it over and over! But I can’t because it’s still in the theaters in the U.S.  

Merit: I am sure it doesn’t surprise you to know that I just finished High Voltage by KMM. It is too early for me to decide how I feel about the book, so I need some alone time in order to process my feelings and thoughts about the story. I remember KMM saying that this book would be along the lines of a romance, but I can say that I didn’t expect the story to go the way it did, not at all.

Zee: I read High Voltage on release day and it was amazing. Sigh. Started reading Sierra Simone's Sinner. Not really a fan of the age difference, but hot hot smut!

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)